As I sit here enjoying my Strawberry Heart Blossom Tea at the cutest little cafe on main, I am reminded of a time where this would have been the ultimate….the ultimate……….the quiet time to sit, relax and gather my thoughts.
There once was a time where we had small children in our home and the thought of sitting here, enjoying a nice, steamy, almost serene cup of tea would have been something from another planet.
That was a time where I was not familiar with the word Self Care or even the thought of taking a break, let alone all the benefits that tea can bring to you.
I now know, first hand the impact that Self Care can have on my life. Self Care can, and is characterized by me, as, any activity that we deliberately do in order to take care of ourselves, it encompasses our mental health, physical health and emotional health.
At one time, in my life, I was struggling……I was fatigued, I was tired, I was stressed, I was not sleeping well….I ultimately was on auto pilot. The kids were in sports activities after school, we were both working full time to make ends meet and it felt as though, I was consistently going from here to there, which as I look back on it now, I am truely not sure how we managed all of those things, but together, we made it work!
When we take the time to look at Self Care, like really look at it simply, as a busy mom or even as a busy woman, there are a few things that we can do at home to promote the practice of self care. Self Care is one of those things that is sometimes overlooked and it is a vital part for putting the spring back in our step, so to speak.
While a number of us feel that self care means a trip to the spa, which is awesome, but costly, going for a pedicure, getting a manicure, hitting up the hair dresser, enjoying a massage or even popping in the local pool. All those things are great ways to be incorporated into your self care routine, but, what about practicing self care at home?
5 Ways To Practice Self Care At Home
- Read A Book – Head down to your local library and check out a book you like. Personally, I am in love with anything true story, crime or drama, but, as of lately, I have been reading a fiction book by Ruth Ware – The Death of Miss. Westaway. So far, it has been a good read. I find reading a chapter or two before bed allows my mind and body to slow down and get ready for sleep.
- Go For A Walk – Head outside, even if this is just for a little walk around the block or down the street, walking is said to help release unwanted stress and enhance our calm energy, which makes it the perfect way to help strengthen our immune system.
- Take A Long Soak In The Tub – Wait until the kids are in bed and run yourself a nice, hot, steamy bath. Feel free to enhance your soaking experience with a much loved DIY Recipe using Essential Oils, this is something that I loved to do way back then and continue to enjoy this ritual today. It is the perfect way to wind down, and taking a good, long soak is so beneficial to the body and the mind. Get your Essential Oils here – https://bit.ly/2I5mLOa
- Listen To Some Music – I mean, put on your favourite tunes and crank that music up. Something that uplifts your spirits and gets your body moving. Pick something that speaks to you…..personally, I love country and you can find me blasting that quite often, While I enjoy singing along at the top of my lungs, it is also a benefit to swing those hips god gave you and get moving. This practice is so good for your spirit. It helps me become clear on so many things as I am cranking out the tunes. plus, it gets your heart rate up which is also great for your physical health as well.
- Eat Energizing Foods – Yup, I said it. You guys, when I cleaned up my diet, I cleaned up my acne prone skin, my digestive system and I felt like a brand new person. When we feed our body the good stuff, good things happen, not to mention the positive impact it has had on every aspect of my life.
We all have a responsibility to ourselves to seek out Self Care for ourselves.
Self Care looks different for everyone, just in the same way that we are all different. There is no one way street to practicing self care, this is something that looks different for each of us.
Above, you have seen the way I like to practice Self Care, self care is essentially about making time for the person who truly deserves it….that person being you! Take some time for yourself today, you deserve it!!
I would love to know how you practice Self Care…….
Forever Yours, SimpleeSoulful
Like this content…..Find Me On Instagram @http://www.instagram.com/simpleesoulful